Home
About Us
Officers
History
St Als
Contact
 
Benefits
Other Links
Newsletter
 
Archives
 
 

Our Community

Our council serves "The Brooklyns", Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park in east central Minnesota.  This is an area in the northeast part of Hennepin County which is a part of the near-northside suburbs of the city of Minneapolis.  The eastern border of both cities is formed by the Mississippi River.

The earliest permanent homesteaders came to the area in 1852.  Settlers coming a few years later from Jackson County in southern Michigan, chose the name Brooklyn from the name of a village in that area.

At the same time Minnesota was becoming a state in 1858, Brooklyn Township had its political beginnings.  The village of Brooklyn Center was eventually incorporated in 1911.  Formed from the large area remaining of Brooklyn Township, Brooklyn Park was incorporated in 1954 with a population of about 4,000 residents.

Early settlers found the black sandy loam of Brooklyn Township ideal for growing potatoes and other vegetables.  For many years the area was one of small "garden-farms".  This continued until the Twin Cities suburban development gradually swept across the area.

Today Brooklyn Center is home to about 30,000 people and Brooklyn Park has about 70,000 residents

 

 

 

Copyrightę 2010 Our Smart Tech, Inc all rights reserved